So, we've seen a major increase in variety of food available in our city over the past 2 years, but the BEST one so far (and my husband might disagree) has been yogurt and herb flavored potato chips, imported from Turkey. Sounds strange? They actually taste just like sour cream and onion, and as I have had a huge craving for that particular type of chip recently, it has definitely hit the spot!
The second best thing has been Monterrey Jack cheese, which they just started carrying a couple of months ago. I can finally make Mexican food with something other than cheddar (which works OK, but the Jack cheese is better). Corn tortillas are still a little difficult -- they're here, but super expensive, so I resort to flour most of the time (I know, Tex-Mex blasphemy, but you make do with what you have). I've seriously considered asking one of my family members to send me a tortilla press and large amounts of masa so I can make my own, but we'll see about that. I don't know if I'll have the energy to make my own tortillas once this baby gets here! I'm already starting to slow a bit (I attribute that problem to the combination of excessive heat here and the big belly).
1 comment:
i would totally ask for that tortilla press! and after living in SA for 12 years, i still miss those homemade flour tortillas the most (I can't get any at restaurants here, it's a crying shame) -
when we were in hungary, we could not get cheddar anywhere and boy did i miss it! it's my primary food group, cheese. but we had plenty of white cheese (a la jack) to keep us satisfied... kinda the exact opposite of your situation. isn't life overseas grand? now that we're here in the us again, we miss the hungarian white cheese and can have cheddar every day. :)
Post a Comment