Saturday, June 27, 2009

Theme this week: Volcanoes

Dawn over at The Mom Crowd had a great article about doing stuff with your kids over the summer. One of her first tips was to plan activities each week, usually around a particular theme. Well, now that summer vacation has started for us, we have been doing this for the past two weeks. Our first week was Animals from Africa. We watched some online videos, read about elephants, cheetahs, and various other wildlife, and played pretend adventures (my son is really into role-playing games right now, so that was perfect for us). This week, we studied VOLCANOES. We saw lots of pictures from Hawaii (where I used to live), learned the Arabic word for volcano (burkaan), and today is the grand finale: creating an erupting volcano in our kitchen! Kudos to Kaboose for all their craft suggestions -- it's been a lifesaver!

Pouring the baking soda and water; adding a few drops of dish soap will make your volcano more bubbly.

Here comes the vinegar (with a bit of food coloring)!


All in all, the activity only took about five minutes to prep and go. My son thought it was great and wanted to do it AGAIN! We had to skip on that, though, because I was out of baking soda.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Nice!
It continues to go well for us, though I find myself busier than I expected to be and don't always have tons of creative ideas. We've done cars, rain, bugs, and balloons. Next week is music, and I think we won't have any trouble at all with staying entertained that way!!

Sharon M said...

Glad you're keeping up with the theme weeks, Dawn. I feel like it'll get a bit easier when we get to the States, and I can go and get library books. I miss that!

I don't have a TON of ideas either, but enough to do at least one activity a day around our theme. Also, I like having one "science" project each week, b/c my son is old enough now to really enjoy it!