Friday, October 9, 2009

What to sing when you don't know the words

My son is on a Mary Poppins kick. He's actually never seen the movie before, but one of his babysitters taught him "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" a couple of days ago. Since then, I, the consummate musical junkie, have been trying to teach him the words. Emphasis on the word trying.

If you recall, this song has some quite difficult words in it (precocious? I didn't know what that meant until high school, maybe early college), so I've been singing it rather slowly. Here's what we have so far, as sung by my son:

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
If you sing it loud enough you'll always sound atrocious
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

(Um-diddle-diddle-diddle-um-diddle-lai)

Beacuse I didn't speak and I was just a lad
My father would bonk me and tell me I was bad
But then I learned a word that saved me achin' nose
The biggest word you ever heard and this is how is goes!


Eh, it's getting there. My friend Gail burst into hysterics when she heard the "If you say it loud enough you'll always sound atrocious" line.

No comments: