Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Sweetest "Selfish" Prayer

Last night our home group met for the first time this year. As all of us are in Christian ministry, we had a wonderful devotion about the extra pressures that are upon us as leaders in the church, and also what our "identity in Christ" is supposed to look like. We didn't come away with any clear-cut answers, but it was a wonderful time of reflection, as well as some praise music, which is one of the main things I miss doing in English -- corporate worship.

During our prayer request time, one of the people there (who is visiting from another country) was sharing his prayer request. He is an older man, probably in his mid to late sixties, and his was simple: "I want to live a longer life." When he expanded on that, he told us that he didn't come to know the Lord until about ten years ago, and he HADN'T HAD ENOUGH TIME TO SERVE JESUS. "I know it sounds selfish, but I love serving the Lord in any capacity, and I want Him to continue using me to bless others in the church." You could see the joy in his face as he talked about serving in the church, and it wasn't about him at all; it was about his love for his Savior.

What a beautiful "selfish" prayer.

No comments: