Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Croatia Reflections

Last week I had the pleasure to attend a conference for women involved in full time cross-culture work. Over 100 women working in over 30 different countries came together for four days of worship, prayer, laughter, and tears. For many of us, this was the first retreat that we had ever had, for ourselves, without any other co-workers/family members present. It was only us. One hundred fifty women singing to the Lord, immersing themselves in the Word, and having time just to BE.

 In our average day-to-day activities, dealing with difficulties with other people, with the government, with our city or neighborhood– these things are just a part of life. It’s part of being human, and of living in a sinful and broken world. But as someone who has lived both overseas and in the USA, I can tell you that wrestling with these issues on the field magnifies their intensity. In addition to dealing with a stressful situation, I’m wading through the murky waters of cultural nuance that I don’t fully understand. Sometimes I get tripped up in the language, and people laugh because I’ve just said something SUPER inappropriate (I can usually laugh later, but at that moment I feel humiliated). Sometimes tragedy strikes in the USA, and I have no way to go back to be there for my family or friends. All of these things build up over years and years, and to have a safe place to unpack all of that, in an environment where people GET IT, is golden. They know where I’m coming from. They know we often pour a lot of our care into the people around us – our spouses, our kids, the people groups we work with – without a lot of time for ourselves. They know we often feel forgotten when we’re not visible to our friends and family in the States.

 Anna, our speaker who served for ten years in an incredibly difficult, war-torn country, talked about courage on the field. Our first session, Courage when the Well Runs Dry, particularly resonated with me. She started with a question: “What if God asked you to have a ministry like Jeremiah?” Jeremiah’s ministry spanned about 20 years, and he saw the rise and fall of five kings in Judah. He was actively persecuted, betrayed, witnessed the fall of Jerusalem to the Babylonians, and overall, saw very little fruit. Whatever steps forward the Hebrew people would take during a particular time frame, such as when Josiah was king, they would immediately take about five steps back. Jeremiah’s ministry was dry. But spiritual dryness is not always from sin, or a lack of spiritual connection, or simply not doing enough. Sometimes it exists to drive our roots further into the ground, to draw on the deep water that lies there below. We need to lean into the dryness, and walk with the Spirit and be filled with it. Keep going when the well runs dry.

 Our newsletters are often filled with the good things going on in ministry, what I like to call our highlight reel. What isn’t seen are the stories of failure, rejection, and hurt. We don’t share about the periods of spiritual dryness, of feeling like we're standing in a desert even though we are faithfully spending time in prayer and God’s Word. We don’t talk about when we’ve invested time, money, and energy in a supposedly Christian family, and they turned out to be lying to us about a lot of things. Or meeting with someone, discipling them for months, only to have them disappear off the radar forever. Did they go back to their home country? Move to another city? For every “success” story we have, there are probably ten stories about failure. But we keep going because God has called us, and He is good. So for those of you experiencing this period of dryness, I say to you: COURAGE. Courage is not the absence of fear, but the presence of faith. His Word will not return void (Isaiah 55:11).

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Sharon - This is beautifiully stated! Yes, the work that you are doing takes courage, strength and resilience. Yet you and your family are so very open to what our Lord wants you do and where He wants you to be. We pray for you and your family every single morning, and will continue to do so. We love and admire all of you.

Shirleen Wait

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Sharon for your openness and honesty. I think many of us feel that way a good part of the time, but we don't lay it out there for everyone to read and know! Very brave of you and willingness to be out there and vulnerable. It inspires me to try being more the same around my retirement community and other friends.! ~Psalm 38:24,27:5

Colin said...

Sharon, this is such great self-care; I am so glad you and the 149 others were able to take this time together. I pray for you, Duane, David, Samantha, and Amelia daily and I hold you up as faithful ones for our Lord. Thank you for all you do - IT MATTERS!

Blessings, Colin

Unknown said...

oops, didn't "sign out" on the above. ~wendy hunter

Unknown said...

Brought back a lot of memories of our time on Spain. God bless you and hang in there. It is worth it.

Unknown said...

Sorry I am not unknown.

Unknown said...

It's me John Dixon. I don't know why it keeps insisting that I am "unknown".

Jeannette said...

Beautiful post Sharon. Missionary work is not for the faint of heart�� Having grown up in a pastor's home, I understand clearly what you have stated. we continue to pray for your family. I'm so glad you had this time away for yoursekf.