My husband had a rough day today -- it's actually been a rough past couple of days, but it sort of reached its peak this afternoon when he was working on his application for his PhD and couldn't find one of his letters of recommendation. We basically ransacked our room looking for it, and about 30 minutes into the search he exclaimed, "UGH!!!!! (Charlie Brown style) I'm so frustrated!!!"
About an hour later, while our son was eating his snack and watching a movie (and we were in the other room, watching an episode of Monk), he was trying to get our attention. Now, usually this is not a problem, but we had already been interrupted half a dozen times (i want a snack; I want juice; mommy, come look it's the tractor tipping part of Cars! Your favorite! etc.). So my husband went in there and said, "what do you want?" Here's the conversation that followed:
"I need to go poo-poo."
"OK, fine, get down and go poo-poo; you can do it by yourself."
(Slight pause as our son heads to the bathroom)
"Daddy?"
"Yes, David?"
"Awe you still fwustwated?"
"No honey, of course not."
(Another pause)
"Daddy?"
"yes?"
"Can I have more goldfish?"
"well, if you're hungry, you're hungry. What can I say?"
".... you can say 'of course!'"
So my son's two concerns were daddy's emotional state and his own hunger. Interesting. I always wonder how a three-year old's mind works. It just seems to jump from topic to topic without any sort of... flow. But at the same time, I think my husband was touched that the little guy was concerned about him being "fwustwated" and wanted to make sure that he was OK.
2 comments:
even at lucy's young 17 months, i know she can sense any negative emotion her dad and/or i am having. the poor things! their world is safe when m & d are okay.
That is a very sweet moment between a daddy and a son.
Definitely a huggable moment.
Post a Comment