Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Time in the UK

So, this week has been nice. Despite the fact that hubby is still in recovery mode from the broken leg, we've managed to do a couple of fun things while I'm here. On Thursday I went to St. Paul's Cathedral in London for their annual Thanksgiving Service. Thousands of the American ex-pats (as well as some locals) show up for this beautiful service every year. The pastors from the local American church congregations, as well as the Abassador himself, put together an amazing service, complete with all our favorite hymns and ending with "America the Beautiful" (I get a little teary-eyed just thinking about it; that song is really one of my favorites!). Sorry there aren't any pictures from the service, but none were allowed.

Outside Saint Paul's Cathedreal


Inside the church. Isn't it amazing?



Then, on Friday, we left London to have a fabulous belated Thanksgiving out in the English countryside! That's right all you Jane Austen fans, we were out in the middle of nowhere, spending time with extended family and their friends. Everyone was so kind and hospitable during our stay in England! Here are a few pictures from our time there:

Our first night out together. Yummy Japanese food!


The house out in Suffolk


Inside "The Barn" -- an old pig barn that was converted into... this. Wow.


A view of the backyard. This is a wheat field, but as you can see, it's past harvest time. Oh, and in the distance, there's a tiny little church. Very Austenesque, don't you think?



That's all I have for now. I'll post pictures of our time in Edinburgh when I return to the States. My tummy is rumbling and ready for some food! Cheers!

5 comments:

abu 'n um tulip said...

Lovely. So glad you've been able to do a few fun things amidst the chaos. Besos, Um Tulip

Dawn said...

yeah, it really seems like you had a nice visit despite the injury and stress! the picture of you two is so great. and how fun to experience English countryside.

abu 'n um tulip said...

So how did the old pig barn smell?

Abu Tulip

Sharon M said...

The pig barn hasn't been a pig barn in a while, so it smelled OK :)

Kelly said...

I am an anabashed-JaneAusten-fan (times2), so I am loving your photos and comments on your English countryside experiences. How nice! Tell your hubby Hi for me, and I'm glad he's recovering well. BTW, how did he break it? a fall on ice? or trying to kick one of his fellow seminarians? :) Blessings to you both as you enjoy this unexpected time together