Friday, January 16, 2009

The Needs of a Transplanted Texan

There are a few things that I really have trouble getting by without. In general, we're a pretty simple family, food-wise -- we buy (mostly) local products, and everything from our greengrocer is local. However, there are a couple of luxuries that I like to indulge in.

For example, being a former Texan, I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT TEX-MEX. Laugh if you want, all my northern readers, but I think most of my other Texan friends would agree. I think I even remember doing a Beth Moore bible study (Beth Moore is from Houston, for those of you who don't know), and she mentioned in one of her videos how addicted Texans are to Tex-Mex. Anyway, I have a craving, oh, about once a month or so, to have something beans/tortillas/chiles related. Since I can find pinto beans at the dry goods store, I've received the proper spices in care packages (thanks Mom!!!), and I've mastered the art of making tortillas (store-bought ones are disgusting), we can usually throw together a simple meal that satiates the hunger. Sometimes I get a little elaborate and make enchiladas or fajitas.

But I digress. Last week I was shopping at Fancy Grocery Store (or FGS, the one that has a good stash of imported items), and I found THIS:

Now tell me, how could I pass up on this, when I haven't seen chipotle ANYTHING since moving here?! Just thinking about that smokey jalapeno flavor makes my mouth water. I don't care that they cost twice as much (or sometimes three times as much!) as they do in the States. I'm very careful, and use it VERY sparingly to make it last a long time. Now I can make chipotle salsa! Hooray!

Oh, and one more thing -- this has nothing to do with being a Texan, just a chocoholic. The chocolate here is gross. It tastes like plastic. But once again, FGS comes through by stocking this for me and saving me from a fate worse than Death By Chocolate:


Anything my transplanted Texan friends miss? What about the ex-pat community? Um Tulip, I know you miss your DP!

8 comments:

abu 'n um tulip said...

Can I come to your house for dinner? Since fam came for Christmas they brought pepperoni and blueberries, two things I really miss. Being dried, the blueberries aren't quite the same, but they're good. When we lived in MI you could go at the end of season and pick your own at the farm for around 4 bucks a bucket! Um Tulip

Dawn said...

You and I pretty much have the same cravings. I thank God that we have a local tex-mex chain that makes their tortillas on the premises. However, they close early and are closed on Sundays. So I still miss those blessed pink Taco Cabanas where I could go at any hour to get my fix.

Sharon M said...

Dawn, yeah, I really miss the convenience of Tex Mex in SA. However, I make do with what I have, and I'm just thankful that I can get my fix at all, even if I have to do all the work :)

Um Tulip, you know you are always welcome at our house, although it might be a bit of a trip to make just for dinner ;)

amelia said...

I miss the canned Ranch Style beans. They don't have those here. Tortillas are not as good either. There is enough around here to make your own though. And not as expensive--except for limes and avacados. We used to eat avacados regularly for lunch but now I can only buy them rarely.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could mail you some Tex/Mexican food to you. I lived in Japan for 2 in a half years. My dad was in the Airforce so my family we had to leave San Antonio. I really missed it. I didn't know I would come back to San Antonio in 1981. We left for Japan in 1979. Stefanie Knorr

pamela said...

i frequently make potato and egg tacos for breakfast on saturdays ...it's my one regular tex-mex craving. thank goodness they also sell a mexican salsa that also tastes more or less like home. :-)

Lisa Memolo said...

Sharon: I haven't left the country, but in Louisiana we have a hard time finding some staples, like corn husks, already made masa for tamales, menudo spice, pinto bean spice. Buying a comal or a mocahethe (sp?) is almost impossible. Lately we have found the corn husks and dry masa that you have to prepare yourself. We find Menudo meat in small quanities and it's expensive. Everytime we travel to corpus or san antonio we load up and take it back with us to New Orleans.

By the way, I've started a new blog separate from Myspace and Facebook. www.memologalvanfusion.blogspot.com

Al may be a guest writer from time to time. I love reading your blog, the wives always give more details on family life than the men do.

Sharon M said...

Lisa,
The nice thing is that you can buy (most of) the stuff on Amazon. Seriously. I would LOVE to have masa to make my own tortillas (tamales are a little too adventurous for me to make, although I love to eat them!). I forgot to buy some while I was in the US, as well as a tortilla press. I can make a batch of tortillas in less than 30 minutes, but it would be so much faster if I had a tortilla press.