Sunday, March 21, 2010

A glimpse into our choir

The Liturgi-Kal choir that I'm singing in continues to be challenging and fulfilling. Most of the group is composed of Messianics (Jews that believe Jesus is the Messiah) and foreigners (like those of us from Nazareth), although there are a few secular Jews. I sit next to an AMAZING soprano with a bright yet dramatic voice, and she's easily the best singer there. When my friend Hannah asked her about her musical background, where she had studied voice, etc, she smiled and replied, "Oh, I've never studied voice. I play (insert long list of instruments, mostly brass and percussion) and studied at the conservatory here." Wow. And she has perfect pitch. And she trains horses. Basically, she's some sort of prodigy. I should be jealous, but honestly, I'm just glad she's in our section because I need all the help I can get. Between Golden Voice that rarely misses a note and our Rhythm Queen who rarely misses an entrance, our section is holding together well. Can't say that for the altos, poor things. They don't have any really strong singers in their group, but my experience is that the altos and tenors generally have the most difficult time in a choir, especially with a beloved yet difficult piece like Handel's Messiah.

We're in the enjoyable phase of the music now because we've gone over all the music in rehearsal; my pronunciation problems are all sorted out. I still have a lot of work to do, as oratorio is not the easiest type of music to sing. We have two rehearsals this week (yikes!), but then we have a few weeks off for Pessech and Easter. I hope all of our hard work won't fall apart during the break!

No comments: