Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I think I need a tattoo

Yesterday I went to visit a friend of mine who works in a bookstore. I've been trying to help her improve her English skills so she can take a test this summer, but we also spend a good deal of time chatting in Arabic. When I had visited her a couple of weeks ago, and she had a couple of customers come in, look at me a bit strangely (after all, what kind of foreign Christian woman comes over to sit and chat with a Muslima? And she speaks Arabic?!), and ask me where I was from. When I told them I was from the United States, the next question was, "Are you married?" Now, I felt like saying, "What do you think?! I'm sitting here with my son and I have a ring on my finger!!!" but instead I just smile and say, "Yes, I am." After I had got that question a couple of times, I asked my friend, "Why is the second question out of their mouths, 'Are you married?'" she said probably because they have a son or nephew they want to set me up with. We laughed about it, and I went home.

Back to yesterday: Again, we're sitting in the bookshop, chatting away, and I'm trying to give her some writing assignments in English. People are walking by and staring at me, but I'm SO used to that, so I just ignore them. In comes a group of women, and of course, what are the first two questions out of their mouths? Yeah, you guessed it! This time I was sitting with my daughter, and after about the fourth time, I thought to myself, I should tattoo on my forehead, I am from America and yes, I am married. I wonder if they see me and think, "AMERICAN VISA FOR MY SON!!!" Anyway, now that we've gotten past that stage of introductions, I hope to develop some good relationships with these women over the next few months. Please be praying for that!

2 comments:

abu 'n um tulip said...

Next question: do you have any sisters?

Sharon M said...

"Yes, and she's looking for a nice Christian man. Is your son a Christian?"