Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Primaries, Poppies and Progress


Wow, what an exciting day Tuesday was with the primaries! Now, since everyone and their dog has been trying to explain what it means for Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, I will spare you the amateur political commentary. But let me just point out something bizarre about the Texas primary system that I discovered yesterday. Apparently, there are caucuses AND primaries for the Democratic Party. About 1/3 of the delegates for the party are determined by the caucuses. NPR did a good job explaining it here. And I'm still flummoxed. Maybe my political science prof at UTSA explained it as well, but unfortunately, I didn't really pay a lot of attention. And since this "Texas Two-Step" system was just set up this way about 30 years ago, it will probably be a while (if ever) before it is fixed. I propose a national overhaul of the primaries.

Spring is in the air here in Israel. And out come the flowers. The almond trees are full of lovely white buds:


And the poppies are poking their little red heads out of the ground:


And finally, we are seeing progress on our apartment. We found one we liked, but the previous tenants really did a number on it (one of those nightmare families you always here about from landlords), and the owner of the place hasn't done anything about it until now. I guess he wanted to make sure someone wanted to rent it before he invested in repairs. Anyway, we've seen guys working there for the past few days, so hopefully all will be ready by the end of the month. I'm ready to have a place of our own!

2 comments:

Joseph D. Walch said...

Bill Clinton came to Ward elementary (two blocks from my house). If I had voted Democrat, I might have been there, but since there wasn't anybody voting in the Republican line and I had a test the next day, I took the most politically expedient route and voted Republican. ;)

Sharon M said...

LOL, that's funny. It's sad that the Republican race got so boring so fast. It would have been interesting if Romney had made it to Texas. That's why I hate the primaries; they're not organized enough for my tastes. I think he put himself in a good position for VP, so we'll have to see what happens when the GOP convention kicks off.