Thursday, January 8, 2009

Myers-Briggs Testing

I took the Myers-Briggs Test today and scored an ISTJ, and all of my types are "moderately expressed". Not really surprising at all. According to my career assesment, I should have been an accountant. Not far off really, since I got my degree in Mathematics. Does this mean I'm an exceptionally boring person, though?

What personality type are you? Do you feel that your career path (or university major) reflects that?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to know my Myers-Briggs again. I think I was an ESFJ before, but I can't remember. Daniel and I are both E's for sure. I am going to go take it now. :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am an ENTJ. I am 89% extrovert which doesn't surprise me. It also said I should major in Business. I did major in HR, so I was on the right path.

pamela said...

ENFJ, with the only strong preference being F. who's surprised? :-) a few years ago i tested INFP, but both the I and P were weak. i definitely like jobs that are relational, that deal with concepts and ideas and people rather than data and other concrete things. and even though i think i am mentally organized, my personal space rarely reflects it. :-)

Dawn said...

Mine always changes a little bit every time I take it. For all of my 20's I was rockin' the ENFJ, and now I've got the ESFJ - but the S is very weak.

Career suggestions were management or teaching. There you have it.

My hubby can't stand these assessments. He hates being put into a box. He also doesn't like the yes/no option with this particular test - no room for "what ifs". He's a "what if"er.

I used to live with 3 hardcore introverts (not the East Ridgewood girls). They wore their Myers-Briggs assessments like a badge. It got kinda annoying (ie. "I'm an introvert so my personality will never/can never change.") The tests are helpful to a point but somewhat limiting if we put too much stock into them.

Sharon M said...

Good point, Dawn. The yes/no part can be a little annoying -- I mean, who acts a certain way ALL THE TIME, EVERY TIME x,y, or z happens? They're mainly a source of amusement for me; I get a kick out of the fact that I should have been an accountant :)

abu 'n um tulip said...

No surprises here. ENFJ - very strong E, slightly N, and moderate on F and J. Career choice? Teacher, of course. ENFJ's are very empathetic. "ENFJs often take on more of the burdens of others than they can bear." I find reviewing a test like Myers-Briggs very helpful to remember who I am and my strengths/weaknesses. It's also hilarious to me how accurate a well-designed test can be. Um Tulip

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis, I'm an INTJ... have been for awhile. I think I've taken three of these tests in the last year and they all come out the same. My I is weak and my NTJ are very strong. I found the "famous people" part interesting. Isaac Newton, Niels Bohr, C. G. Jung, and Nostradamus were INTJ's. The description of an INTJ fits me to a "T." I'm curious what Duane is? -- Chris

Joseph D. Walch said...

The department of Psychiatry always has the Med students take these tests and then tailors them to medical fields. I was and ISTJ who would work best as in ophthalmology, radiology, neurology or pathology. I'm sure it would be different if I were to answer non-work related questions. though.

Sharon M said...

Joe, I never realized that we had the same results! Very cool -- I've only met other ISTJers in the Math dept :)

Chris, I'm not surprised that ours are close but not identical. As for Duane, I'm not sure. He MIGHT be an ESTJ or ENTJ, but I kind of waver on the "E" -- he could go either way.