So, I've been thinking about dreaming for the past couple of days. Not the daydream kind or having "visions-from-God" type, but just the regular, nighttime brain ramblings. My dreams have been very vivid lately, which I think is due to stress coupled with bad sleep (which earns me some incomplete REM cycles).
I always have strange dreams, but the stress-induced ones are pretty easy to catch. I am either:
a)running through airports, doing some sort of international flight, and missing my plane, or getting on the wrong airplane and finding myself in a strange country and have no idea how I got there, or
b)working a La Madeleine, a french bistro-style café. It was my job while I worked through college, and while it wasn't mentally demanding in any way, it was could be very physically exhausting. Standing on your feet for 9 hours a day, getting up at 5 am and not going to bed until 11pm (or later), running all over the restaurant and carrying pots of hot soup or buckets of ice -- sometimes I would come home and crash without doing anything, especially when I carried a double shift.
A lot of times, when I have an important decision to make, my dreams take on the form of a quest (think Legend of Zelda). The quest usually has absolutely nothing to do with the actual, real life decision, but those can be kind of fun. Or, if a big change is coming up, I dream about being pregnant. I remember dreaming about being pregnant right before moving to Israel, just four months after having my daughter. It was surreal.
I kind of wish my dreams could be useful, because right now, they're just acting out what I already know. Maybe I need a "Thus-saith-the-Lord" dream, so I could feel like I have some direction to go, instead of feeling like I'm treading water in the middle of the ocean.
Anyone dream as much or as vividly as I do? What's the strangest dream you can recall?
6 comments:
Maybe when Baby Bulb starts sleeping for longer stretches I'll start dreaming again! I, too, have vivid dreams, but a few are too bizarre/scary to write about. Often they're in color. I've had the dream I'm flying (sort of doing breast stroke in the air) and visiting people by entering through balcony on the 2nd story, which is supposed to mean you're happy, several times. Also had the one where my teeth crumble and fall out, which is supposed to mean you're depressed. I've actually woken up to check on my teeth. A nightmare from my childhood involved all the ants in the world coming to my hometown and invading. I don't like bugs!
~ Um Tulip
I always thought the teeth dream meant I was grinding my teeth while sleeping, which I tend to do when I'm stressed.
I hate bug dreams, because they always outnumber me :O
My friend forwarded me her Urban word of the Day email, because it reminded her of me. It read "niteflix - Dreams so complex in plot and rich in production value that they seem like feature length films."
I dream of waitressing at Salt Grass when I get stressed!
But I often dream about what I watched. I have to have a funny "buffer" show after watching something violent or scary.
I have had several dreams about Seinfeld. I made up a whole episode where Jerry comes up with this comedy act where is a clown and doing these really corny joke and being just silly. George and Elaine are like "What are you doing?" Jerry replies that people love his act, so he keeps doing it. In the end he goes on Jay Leno. there is more too it.
I also had a dream combining "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" and "Heroes." That was a cool one. But it had Silar in it and it kind of was scary.
So yeah, I dream. When I was pregnant I dreamt that I opened my belly next to my ribs and looked in and I saw 3 cats in there. I think Roman was just kicking a lot that night! ha!
~Amanda
Sharon! I have the SAME airline dream. Typically, I'm scrambling to make it to some flight and the airport is HUGE and I keep getting caught up - I went to the wrong terminal or baggage checking takes forever - and I'm running up escalators in this vastly multiple-story airport (yeah, I know, why would an airport have vast multiple stories?).
The teeth falling out dream, I've heard, happens often when you feel that your life is out of control.
I have those adventure dreams, too. They're great! Those are my absolute favorites.
Why the heck do we have the same dreams (aside from the pregnant ones, of course)?
I’ve got one for you; the weirdest dream I've had was one Friday or Saturday Night when I was in Missouri working 70 hour plus weeks with a surgeon while Louise was in Louisiana. I didn't have TV so I did a lot of reading and fell asleep reading Dostoevsky’s 'Crime and Punishment’ (just after the ‘hatchet-attack’ scene).
The dream involved a pit bull that was threatening children that were ostensibly mine. I grabbed the dog by the muzzle and snatched up a small 10-pound sledgehammer. After one blow to the skull with the hammer, the dog whimpered and with pleading eyes looked up and said "I won't attack your children." I wanted to have mercy, but didn't believe the dog's contrition so with the second blow I crushed his skull in.
It was very vivid and deeply disturbing. Hopefully that doesn’t say anything bad about my character.
Otherwise, my dreams are all about saving the world.
Joe, my husband has some really violent dreams sometimes, too! I think it might be pent up frustration, or your brain just scrambling up C&P. It is a rather disturbing book.
Chris -- LOL, I'm so glad you don't have pregnancy dreams! Maybe we have the same dreams b/c we grew up in the same environment, or perhaps b/c our temperaments are similar.
Post a Comment