I decided that having a theme each day would help me keep on track. So, Monday's going to be recipe day, mostly b/c I love cooking! This former Texan particularly misses her Tex-Mex cuisine more than anything (well more than any other food), so today I'm going to talk a bit about my personal favorite: Refried Beans.
I think the one reason I crave refried beans so much is because I can't find them ANYWHERE here. No cans, and definitely none in the restaurants. The Middle Eastern equivalent of refried beans is fuul mdammas, which is a very popular food in Egypt, and quite tasty for breakfast. However, despite its virtues, it is not a substitute for what this girl is craving! So, after a few attempts at creating my favorite beans at home, I think I have figured out a pretty easy recipe. It takes about 15 minutes to make, and results are FANTASTIC. I don't think I'll ever go back to canned refried beans again, even if I do manage to find them here! These are definitely worth the little bit of extra effort.
This recipe makes 2-3 servings, so you might want to double (or even triple) the quantities!
Ingredients:
1-2 Tbl. bacon grease or lard (I usually save my drippings in the freezer for occasions such as these!)
1/4 c. onion, finely diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 can pinto or black beans, partially drained
Method: Heat up the bacon grease in a skillet until it is hot but not smoking. Reduce heat to medium, and add the onion. Cook for a couple of minutes, then add garlic and spices. Cook for one to two minutes more, then add the beans. Give them a couple of minutes to heat up, then mash using a fork or potato masher. Continue mashing and cooking until mixture resembles a thick paste. Serve on top of tortillas with a bit of cheese, as a side to your favorite Tex-Mex main dish, or just eat it out the pan! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment