Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Sounds of Autumn

Certain songs just "sound" like the leaves falling from trees, and the cool, crisp air that whips at your face -- the rain that falls softly on your rooftop, the crunching sound your feet make when you walk through the woods. Most of the time, these are albums that I bought in September or October, so when I listen to them, I think about the first time I heard the album. A few are actually about fall, and a few just have that melancholy feeling of the season before the onset of winter. So, here is a list of a few of those songs or albums that stand out in my mind as "a tribute to autumn":

1) Close of Autumn (Caedmon's Call): This whole album makes me think of the beginning of school, for some reason. Maybe I bought it at the beginning of my junior or senior year in high school, I really don't remember. But this one in particular is a part of my "fall" mix on iTunes.

2) Autumn in New York (Ella Fitzgerald): I love Ella's voice; it's smooth and delicious like a chocolate lava cake. Her recording of this song just makes me want to jump on a plane and head to NYC.

3) Why Should the Fire Die? (Nickel Creek): This whole album takes the band in a completely different direction than their previous albums, but it's the overall melancholy feel that gives this album the autumn feel. "Doubting Thomas" is probably one of my favorites from NC, and their recording of Bob Dylan's "Tomorrow is a Long Time" is almost magical.

4) Extraordinary Machine (Fiona Apple): I'm not a huge Fiona fan, but I really enjoyed the third album of this songstress' eternally beckoning siren call.

5) Merrimack River (Mandy Moore): Yeah, how did Mandy Moore get on here? Her music has improved dramatically since Candy came out several years ago. I love her recording of Elton John's Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters, but Merrimack is a wonderful opening tune to her newest album, Amanda Leigh. We could also put Indian Summer on here, but that'd be too obvious :-)

6) Anything by Counting Crows: Long December. 'Nuff said.

So, what are your favorite "autumn" songs?

1 comment:

Dawn said...

fun post! how cool that we both recently did music posts. i love hearing about other peoples' favorite tunes.

for autumn, i think of these bands or songs:

"Orange Sky" - Alexi Murdoch

Beatles (stuff like Eleanor Rigby go really well with cooler temps)

Simon & Garfunkel

Indigo Girls