Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tuesday's Post: Travel

Our family always went on long vacations growing up. It usually involved driving a day or two to visit family (in Oklahoma or California), spending a few days with them, and then driving home. However, one of my favorite memories growing up was taking a super-long drive from south Texas to southern California, up to Yosemite, then Las Vegas, and finally over to Oklahoma before returning to SA. I think the whole trip took about two weeks (correct me if I'm wrong, mom!), but despite the fights over who got to sit in the captain's chairs (instead of the bench in the backseat), it was a lot of fun. The only problem is that we ate out a lot (mostly at diners), and, to this day, I can't drive by Denny's without getting a little nauseous...

Anyway, my point is that I love road trips. Unfortunately, the farthest we can drive here is from Nazareth to Eilat, on the Red Sea. That trip takes about six hours, and mileage-wise, is shorter than the distance from San Antonio to Dallas. Not much for this well-seasoned traveler! But, I suppose we make up for it here by having some pretty cool tourist spots to visit. Jerusalem is only about a two hour drive south from here, so a couple of weeks ago, we packed up the kids and went down there to meet some friends who were visiting from across the river. I know I posted about a trip down there when we first moved to Israel, but this time we got to visit a few places I didn't see last time. Here are a few pictures from our time there:














This is the Garden of Gethsemane, where Jesus prayed with his disciples on the night he was betrayed by Judas Iscariot. Some of the olive trees in the background are SEVERAL HUNDRED YEARS OLD. Yep, pretty amazing stuff!

Our children having a moment of prayer at a holy site. Wonder what they're praying about?















Jaffa Gate entrance to the Old City. You can see in the top picture the fortress walls still surrounding the Old City.

No comments: