My husband's in the States for a conference this week, so it's just me and the kiddos. And let me tell you, it's hard to go from having 4 adults for 2 kids to one adult and same number of kids over the course of three days. However, we've actually been doing OK. My son asks me at least twice a day, "Where's daddy?" before he remembers where he is, and since the kids go to bed by 8, I'm a little lonely in the evenings. Our neighbors, however, have been a great help. They've offered us rides around town (since we have no car at this point) and watched my son while I take a nap with my daughter (which I need now, b/c I've discovered I don't sleep well w/o my husband).
I think this is a good "trial run" for the fall, when hubby goes to Scotland to start his PhD. My mother-in-law will come for a while in September (hopefully with her husband), and we'll make a trip to the States in October for a month to stay with family. I've toyed with the idea of staying longer, but I really want my son in pre-K here to prepare him for kindergarten. He needs to bring the Arabic up to speed, and what better way to do that than throwing him in a room full of other four year olds that don't speak a lick of English? (Oh boy, can't see that one blowing up in my face later on!)
BTW, hubby took the camera to the States, so no pics until he gets back. We miss you honey!!!
5 comments:
I can relate! Jake took Joaquin on a camping trip this weekend. It gave me a little fortaste of what our life will be like when he begins to travel with his new job. The worst thing for me is not having someone to say goodnight to before bed. It's a little sad not talking to anyone - just getting into bed and turning out the light. So quiet.
Wow, and I thought I had it rough. Sharon, I will now look to you for inspiration and strength with the "hubby's gone away" times. I have a couple of those coming up this summer but they're not as long as yours - and the distance isn't as far, either!!
I'll miss Dave for sure but there's no way I would let him have the camera. Ha!
By the way, to answer your main question, I have been setting up lunch and dinner dates with friends for every day that Dave will be gone. I'm really being naggy about it too because I can't take any chances and have people wuss out on me. People really hate making plans more than a week in advance, I've noticed! And if I was anywhere near you, I'd totally come over for the day and spend time with you and the kids!
Dawn, yeah, next time, the camera's staying here! It serves as a distraction, if nothing else.
Wow! That must be hard. No amount of t.v. or books help either. I am sure it is a blessing and hard to have the kids with you.
I hope the Pre-K works out. Be sure to update us!
Post a Comment